January 14, 2008

Money etiquette

I meant to post this last week, but I didn't get around to it. Gretta was asked a question on Good Morning America. The guests were the author of Isn't it Their Turn to Pick up the Check?. The first question was asked on the streets of NYC and it was, what do you do when you go out to lunch and you eat light and the other person chows down? How do you go about splitting the check? That was easy and obvious. You pay for what you consume.

The next question was asked to a different audience member and it was, if your 2 year old child breaks something of value in someone else's home, what do you do? I disagreed with the person's answer and so did the "experts". What would you do?

Finally, the example given to Gretta was that you have borrowed someone's car. While you have it, something goes wrong with it and it's a pre-existing condition, say the muffler falls off. Are you responsible for fixing it? I agreed with Gretta, but the authors didn't. What would you do?

2 comments:

Dave said...

First situation's brutal. I'd hope the person who ate the most would offer to pay more, otherwise, I'd suck it up, pay half and the next time I ate with them insist on separate tabs.

2-Year old breaks something. Easy to me, as the parent, PAY for it (and pray it only takes money to replace it).

Betty said...

About the first one, I might let someone get away with it once, but not more than that.

For the second one, the woman on the show said to have the kid draw a picture and move on. She rambled a bit about it, but that was her bottom line. The authors said what you said. Accidents happen, but you're still responsible.

The last one, Gretta said she wouldn't feel as if she had to pay for something already wrong with the car. I agreed with that and would like to add I couldn't imagine expecting a friend to pay for my needed car repairs. The authors said the car needs to go back to the owner in at least the same condition as when you got it. If it had a muffler, it should have a muffler when you give it back. For the record, I think if the problem is caused by any type of negligence on the borrower's part, then the borrower definitely needs to pay.

Hmm....the heater doesn't work right on my car....I wonder who I could lend it to....:)

The main point was that problems arise and relationships become strained or broken because people don't talk about their expectations in money situations.